Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shasta Cherry Cola Commercial

When I was about 5 or 6, my best friend, *Botty Bermo and I would re-enact this very commercial using a pair of those big Tonka dump trucks—I don't know how I ended up with two of them. Anyway, Botty and I would sit on top of them and ride down an incline in my back yard and plow into a big old fir tree that my mom's clothes line was tied to. We'd laugh like idiots and untangle ourselves from the wreckage. Of course, this is back when it was more fun to be a kid, certainly not as safe, but a lot more fun.

As a point of interest, check out the detachable pull tabs on the cans. Somewhere along the line so many people accidentally swallowed these tabs that the industry finally had to come out with a safer version, first a kind of push in button, and a little later the version we now have. And if you got the really cheap brands of pop there were no tabs at all, you had to use one of those pointy can openers.

-Cheers!
*Names have been changed to protect the identities.

No comments: